ORGANISING A PROGRAM AT CITY CITE
At City Cite we don't believe that one size fits all. Often there are common themes or components that schools elect to include in their programs but it is usually important to consider what a school's objectives are for a city based experience. Below are steps that show the process from planning, to communication, to implementation and review.
1. Objectives - School has broad objectives for a CBD based program
2. Awareness of City Cite programs - City Cite staff can come to the school and address senior staff or the curriculum committee and outline what is possible & what works well in our experience
3. Refine Objectives
4. Draft Program - City Cite in consultation with key school staff draw up a possible program that reflects length of experience, range of visits and outcomes.
5. Review & Refine draft program
6. Finalising Program - City Cite staff book activities, design specific curriculum materials where necessary, and organise production of student materials.
7. Group Formation - School allocates students to work groups – best done with some consultation with students.
8. Parent Briefing - City Cite staff in conjunction with key school staff can brief parents on what their child can expect. This is often important in allying parental fears of the city. (A booklet is provided)
9. Student Briefing - City Cite staff in conjunction with key school staff can brief students as to what they can expect, what they need to bring and, in broad terms, what they will be doing while at City Cite.
10. The Program Starts - Getting to know you - Students arrive at City Cite for orientation on the first day.
11. Program Continues - City Cite & School staff team teaching (City Cite staff emphasis on program & school staff emphasis on pastoral issues)
12. Towards the End - Putting it all together - finishing individual and group tasks
13. Parent Evening - Parents can form an authentic audience for students to voice their findings
14. Review/Debrief - Surveys completed at City Cite are analysed and returned to the school
15. Recommendations - Refinements and changes are suggested for future groups at City Cite.